Monday, July 10, 2006

WOW! Fish!


My husband and three buddies decided to go on a little fishing trip to fish Resurrection Bay out of Seward, AK.

Here is a picture of their catch. Among the fish are lingcod, halibut, silver salmon, and red snapper.

I've never been able to figure out why fishermen need to get up at 3:00 in the morning to go fishing. It's not like the fish are going anywhere. But get up at 3:00 in the morning they did. The man on the left is an old family friend, Mike. Before last week we hadn't seen one another for almost 18 years.

Since the men were getting up at 3:00 in the morning, Mike decided to spend the night at our home.

The evening before this trip I fell asleep on the sofa. Bad move, very bad move. My husband and Mike (being the adult men they are... ahem) decided this was their perfect opportunity to 'mess with' me. What's a good fishing trip without a little hazing to get the blood flowing?

Their first attempt to get me going was to flick on every light switch in the living room, dining room, kitchen, and foyer. They had this house lit up with a million watts of electricity - it was like a mini Vegas in here. I could hear Dumb and Dumber snickering and giggling like a couple of 12 year old boys.

I knew exactly what the little fatheads were up to. Rolled over and pulled the comforter over my head. When plan A failed, it was on to plan B. Dumb and Dumber decided to move the coffee bean grinder to the kitchen counter closest to the living room. "Grind, grind, grind"... all the while I was thinking about how much I'd like to grind some of their 'stuff'.

Stuffed a pillow over my head. There was no way I was going to play along with their little game.

Not sure if Dumb or Dumber came up with the next antic, but know it was Dumb (my husband) who was caught red handed holding one of my favorite copper botttom sauce pans and wooden spoon -- bang, bang, banging it like a conga drum.

I guess the spoon and pot situation was more than my wiener dog could take, because next thing I knew, that wiener took one very large flying leap off the sofa and went directly for my husband's ankles. Ha ha ha ha! I mean it, that little 16 pound dog was flying, his long wiener ears straight off the side of his head like little wings. He was one pissed off pup. I'm still laughing about it. YAY for the wiener!

Here's the thing Dumb (that would be my husband) forgot. I know where he lives. I know where he sleeps... and I possess a hockey whistle, a cowbell, and a mini air horn.

Expect it when you least expect it, Mr. Dumb. Too bad Dumber is only here for a few more days. I'm sure we'll see one another again before he leaves, and I'm already plotting and planning sweet revenge.

The rest of their fishing party arrived at 3:45 in the morning - and off they went. The weather forecast for Seward was not looking good, and I remember thinking, "I hope Dumb and Dumber get seasick and come home skunked!" (That means fish less).

Well, as it turns out, the weather was absolutely gorgeous - and calm seas. The men came home with a boatload of fish. I'm glad Dumber had the 'fishing trip of his lifetime' - what a way to experience fishing Alaskan waters.

There were a few bonus moments, he got to view several dozen sea otters, many sea lions sunning themselves on rocky outcrops, quite a few bald eagles, and three whales.


No comments: