Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Salmon Slayer!


I took this photo of my son when he was 4 years old.

About a year ago I submitted it to a photo contest, never expecting to earn a prize. Surprise! Not only did I win an award, the photo was also published in this book:

https://www.picture.com/picturebuy/product_info.asp?ID=1592149

This photo was taken in 1995, in our front yard.

This boy had to use every ounce of strength to hold those samon up. The look on his face tells the story, he simply could not wait to be old enough to fish the big Alaskan rivers and streams with his dad. One year after this photo was taken I finally gave in and let the little guy get his first pair of waders.

Fishing remains one of his passions. If he could, I believe the child would sprout fins and gills so he could swim among the salmon.

Friday evening I took him silver salmon fishing at the creek down the road from our home, where he 'limited out' (3 salmon per person, per day) within 30 minutes. The creek is less than three blocks from our home.

Right this very minute 3 mutant teenage boys are crashed in oldest son's bedoom. They will awake bright eyed and bushy tailed early tomorrow morning, and (hopefully) return home with nine super fresh silver salmon.

No comments: